Sunday, January 06, 2008

Yeah, I guess I am a jerk.

It has been pointed out to me a lot lately that I am a jerk. It doesn't bother me that much, at all really. I guess about five or six years ago I just got sick of being a "nice" person who got stepped on all the time. I know it makes me selfish sometimes, but at least I don't feel taken advantage of all time anymore. I used to be the guy who do almost anything anyone would ask me to do. You need a ride home and live a hundred miles away, sure no problem. Need me to cover your shift at work so you can go get high, I sure will. You won't consider going out with me because you would rather sleep with my friend, that's great and can I get you a cup of coffee.

Really once I decided that I mattered and I deserved to be happy too, it was easy for me to be a jerk a lot of the time. Now if you ask me to do something I really don't want to do I'll tell you no and if you insist I'll very likely smile and tell you to go to hell. My life may suck a great amount of the time, but at the very least I can try to make myself happy.

2 comments:

colonel eggroll said...

Right on dude! Fuck em. As a reformed "nice" person I know exactly how you feel. I always hated that I couldn't have a bad day without people saying I was acting like a jerk.

m @ random musings said...

I don't think saying no out of consideration for your own sanity is jerk-like....

Saying no out of spite or being initially rude, that's a jerk